The Biomedical Science Program at HPU is a rigorous option for students pursuing fields in medicine, dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, biomedical engineering, biomedical research and more.
The program exceeds the requirements for most health professions programs, and the interdisciplinary nature of the program creates a diversified student within HPU’s distinctive Christian liberal arts framework. The Biomedical Science Program encompasses the biomedical science major (a Bachelor of Science degree) and the biomedical science minor.
Program Mission Statement
To provide a strong foundation that develops well-educated, compassionate, integrity-minded medical professionals who will serve God and others as leaders in their professions and in their communities.
- Complete all 1000- and 2000-level courses for biology and chemistry with grade “C” or better
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Once students have met criteria 1 and 2 above, they are then eligible to apply to the Biomedical Science Program. They must interview with the biomedical science admissions committee with a resulting recommendation to the program.
Students can declare the biomedical science major while working toward the first two criteria above. Majors who fail to meet the requirements may continue working toward a bachelor’s degree in biology and a minor in biomedical science. No admittance requirements are needed for the minor.
Biomedical science majors will experience:
- Medical internships
- Skills clinics (suturing, blood draw, etc.)
- Mock interviews
- Mentorship experiences with local health professionals
- Program visits to various professional schools in Texas
Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP)
HPU is a partnering institution with JAMP, which supports Texas students in their pursuit of a medical education. JAMP students are guaranteed admission to one of the 10 Texas public medical schools. For more information, go to www.texasjamp.org or talk with Dr. Kristen Hutchins, HPU’s JAMP faculty director.
Degree Information and Recommended Course Sequences
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biomedical Science (PDF)
- Recommended Course Sequence A (PDF)
- Recommended Course Sequence B (PDF)
Dr. Kristen Hutchins
Associate Professor of Biology