Undergraduate Application for Howard Payne University Alumni Association Scholarship
- Scholarships will be considered only for students who have at least one relative who graduated from Howard Payne University, Howard Payne College or Daniel Baker College or their relative is a former student that completed 2 semesters (24 credit hours) or more at Howard Payne. A relative is defined as a mother, father, sisters, brothers, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.
- The Alumni Association Scholarship Committee reviews all criteria for selection of scholarship recipients. Scholarship amounts and award guidelines are subject to change at the Scholarship Committee’s discretion, and they may be adjusted based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool.
- The Alumni Association Scholarship must be used for tuition to Howard Payne University.
- All applications must be postmarked by May 1.
- All first time applications must provide 2 current recommendation letters that are dated within one year of the May 1st application deadline. These recommendation letters should be sent via letter or email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why they feel the student is a good candidate for the alumni scholarship and be from a non-family member of the applicant. Students that previously received an Alumni Scholarship are not required to provide letters of recommendation if they are currently in good standing with the University, including GPA and discipline.
- All applications must include current activities highlighting community and church service, leadership and academic successes.
- All applications must include an essay. The essay should be at least 500 words and address the applicant’s need and circumstances. This essay should also contain a “statement of faith” along with a summary of accomplishments and their desire to attend HPU.
- All applicants must complete the Application Form each year in order to keep the scholarship.
- Incomplete applications may be disqualified so it is important to make sure all requirements and documentations are fulfilled.
- Entering first year applicants must have maintained a “B” or higher average in high school.
- Returning HPU students or transferring students must have a 2.5 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Entering freshmen and transfer students must have transcripts on file with the Office of Admissions and/or the Registrar.
- Must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program and attending HPU as a full-time student (currently 12 semester hours).
- Students in their final semester may receive their scholarship with permission of the Alumni Association Scholarship Committee if they do not meet “Full Time” status. Once the student takes a scholarship in their final semester and is enrolled in less than “Full Time”, the student will not receive a HPU Alumni scholarship again if they do not graduate.
Need and merit
- The Office of Financial Aid will review financial and academic eligibility.
Application materials must be submitted online no later than May 1. All applications will be given to the scholarship committee of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, which will evaluate the applications and award the scholarships. Scholarship amounts and award guidelines are subject to change based on the scholarship Committee’s discretion, and they may be adjusted based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool. Letters and/or emails will be sent to all applicants in June to announce the results. Scholarship recipients may be called upon to assist with Homecoming and other Alumni Association events.
Please note that not all applicants will receive an Alumni Scholarship.
Scholarship applications closed on May 1, 2017, and are no longer being accepted.