Howard Payne University’s New Braunfels Center and Abba’s House Bible Training Center of New Braunfels are joining together to host a one-day apologetics seminar titled Reasons: Defending Your Faith in a Hostile World. The event is created around 1 Peter 3:15, which states “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; only do it with gentleness and respect.” Discussions will be led by Tyler Ferguson, director of adult education and operations at Freedom Fellowship Church in New Braunfels.
Saturday, September 16
8 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Light breakfast and lunch provided)
Cost: $15 per person
Howard Payne University’s New Braunfels Center
4102 Loop 337, Suite 100
New Braunfels, TX 78130
What is “Reasons” and why is it important?
Reasons is a one-day class designed to give evidence that the God of the Bible is the one, true God. As believers, we know that God is who He says He is, but we live in a world that is convinced otherwise. Christians believe many lies including “science disproves God” and “true faith is blind faith.”
Christians must understand that not only is God real and the story that the Bible tells is true, there is evidence to prove it. At the end of this class you will be more confident in your faith, being able to defend the truth to those who don’t believe and walk with fellow believers struggling with doubt.
Who Should Attend?
All Christians will benefit from the material, but especially the following:
- Church Leadership. Learn how to deal with the doubts that your church members may experience.
- High School Students and Parents. Learn how to defend your faith in a world that needs the Gospel.
- Those with unbelieving relatives or friends. Feel more confident entering into conversations with unbelievers about things like philosophy and science, but in a loving and relational way.
Based loosely on the book “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist” by Dr. Frank Turek, this class will look at the topic of Christian apologetics in a new light. The Bible tells us to be ready to make a defense for our faith, something that many believers are not prepared to do. We will examine the following topics, leading us to a better understanding of why the Christian faith is logical and reasonable.
- Does Truth Exist? Our culture today has decided that ultimate truth does not exist and that everyone’s beliefs are equally as valid. We will discuss this point of view and whether or not it holds water.
- Does God Exist? The secular scientific and philosophical community seem united against the possibility of there being a God, but we know otherwise. We will look at scientific and philosophical evidence for the existence of God.
- Are Miracles Possible? All of Christianity is centered around some really big miracles, so if miracles are not even possible, then there is no way Christianity can be true.
- Is the Bible the Word of God? If there is a God, is He the God of the Bible? After proving that a God exists, we will demonstrate that it must be the Christian God as revealed in the Bible. You will be prepared to defend the accuracy of the Bible against those who claim that “it is just a book written by men.”
- Doubt. The main use of apologetics in the church today is to better equip believers to walk with others in the church struggling with doubt. Learn what doubt is, where it comes from and how you can help others who are struggling.
|8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.||Breakfast/Check In|
|8:30 a.m. – 10 a.m.||Session 1 – What is Apologetics and Why Do We Need It?|
|10 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.||Break|
|10:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.||Session 2 – Does Truth Exist? Does God Exist?|
|11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Session 3 – Does God Exist? (Part Two); Is the Bible the Word of God?|
|2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.||Break|
|2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Session 4 – Hot Topics; Q&A|
About Tyler Ferguson
Tyler Ferguson currently serves as the director of adult education and operations at Freedom Fellowship Church in New Braunfels. His love for those far from God as well as for believers questioning their faith has led him to a passion for apologetics. He has received ample training in the field from some of the most well-respected apologists in the country including Dr. Frank Turek, Greg Koukl, Sean McDowell and Bobby Conway. In August he attended for the second year in a row the Cross Examined Instructor Academy, a three-day intensive class to better equip pastors to help those in the church defend their faith. He has taught apologetics in a variety of settings from youth-aged kids to adults in a college setting. Tyler lives in New Braunfels, Texas, with his wife of seven years, Brittney, and four daughters, Tegan, Finley, Quinn and Rainey.