"GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN"
A Look at Buildings Past on both the main Howard Payne Campus and the Daniel Baker Campus
HOWARD PAYNE CAMPUS
Old Main in 1912. Construction began in 1889; the building was destroyed by fire in May 1984.
Howard Payne Hall, built in 1912 at a cost of $45,000, originally housed 100 coeds and the campus dining hall. After Veda Hodge Hall, the new women's dorm, was completed in 1955, the building served as a men's dorm as well as a student center, campus book store, campus dining hall and post office until it was torn down in 1960-61 after it was deemed unsafe for habitation. The area was cleared for a proposed mall which would connect the various buildings then on campus.
The Cottage Home in 1914
Student Army Training Corps Barracks 1919
In 1921 the S.A.T.C. buildings were remodeled with one becoming the men's dorm.
The other S.A.T.C. building was converted to the gym.
The college power plant in 1921.
HPC's Academy Preparation Program was housed in the old Brownwood High School in 1924.
After the Academy Prep program was ended, the building was used as the College Science Building as seen in this 1941 photo. The building was torn down when Winebrenner Hall was built in 1962.
The HPC President's home in 1928 was at 1401 Center.
The Home Economics Cottage in 1941
In 1946 the "Little Yellow Mansion" was used as a girls dorm.
Ministerial Apartments ("The Efficiencies") in 1947. This building was torn down in 2005 as part of the campus beautification and parking project.
Buildings on the Daniel Baker Campus
Construction on DBC's Coggin Hall (administration and class room building) began in 1889. This photo shows the building in1951. The building was renovated 1962-1969 and now houses the Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors Program.
Originally built in 1876 as a public school, the building was then used as the original building of DBC while the Administration Building was being built. Known variously as the Coggin Building, McClelland Hall, and in 1951 the McClelland Library, after the HPC-DBC merger it was used by the Howard Payne Band for Home Economics, then as the Band Hall and later as the Drama Department storage building. The back portion was used by the Theater Department as a Rehearsal Hall and Scenec Shop before that portion was torn down. The building was renovated in 2005-2206 and on May 5, 2006 was dedicated as the new Girling Center for Social Justice.
DBC's Men's Dorm, located at 717 Coggin Ave in 1951
Coggin Chapel and Fine Arts Building in 1951. The building was torn down in 2000.
DBC's Women's Dorm at 905 Coggin in 1951. It was removed from this site after HPC obtained the property and sold the land to a developer. Today the Brookshire's Grocery store stands on the site.
Hill Billie Gym in 1951. It was torn down after HPC obtained the property.
Science Building in 1951. It was torn down after HPC obtained the property.
Student Union Building in 1951. It was torn down after HPC obtained the property. Today the Newman Building occupies the site.
An aerial view of the Daniel Baker College Campus in the late 1970s. Visible are Coggin Theater, the "White Building," the Academy of Freedom and Newman Hall.