Athletic Training Education Program
Howard Payne University’s Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The program has been placed on Probation as of February 2018, by the CAATE, 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101. The program is currently on a teach-out plan approved by CAATE in preparation for the transition of Athletic Training Education to a master’s level professional degree. Howard Payne University is no longer taking students into the CAATE accredited Athletic Training Education Program. New students interested in Athletic Training are now being enrolled in the Allied Health Sciences Degree to prepare those students for entry into a master’s level professional degree.
The mission of the Athletic Training Education Program is to provide and promote a Christ-centered approach to the development of entry level professional Athletic Trainers through competency based education and clinical experience.
1. Provide a quality Christ-centered educational experience.
2. Upon graduation, students will have the necessary knowledge and clinical skills for an entry-level professional athletic trainer.
3. Upon graduation, students will have the knowledge and skills to be evidence based practitioners.
1. Students will receive a quality educational experience from all faculty, preceptors, and clinical sites.
2. The student will have knowledge base necessary for the entry-level professional.
3. The student will have the opportunity to observe, practice, and master the clinical integrated competencies in their clinical rotations.
4. The student will have the knowledge and skills necessary to be able to gather, interpret, and apply current research to athletic training.