49th Band Leadership Camp
49th HPU Band Leadership Camp June 12-16, 2023 Howard Payne University Brownwood, Texas
Clinics for directors to include:
- Drill Design
- Retirement Planning
- Guard Design and Development
- and many more!
Leadership is the focus for all tracks:
- Drum Major
- Section Leader/Squad Leader
- Band Member
- Color Guard
- Beginning Marcher
- Intermediate Marcher
- Full Camp Marching Band
- Jazz Band
- Marching Instruction
- Marching Winds Pedagogy
- Leadership Instruction
- Conducting Instruction
- Mega Games
- Aquatic Center Party
- Master Classes
FAQs, Packing List and Schedules
Thank you for considering the Howard Payne University Band Leadership Camp. We are celebrating our 49th year to serve the band students of Texas by providing the highest quality leadership training in the areas of Drum Major and Section Leader/Officer training. Additionally we offer training in basic marching skills, marching percussion and color guard.
The camp will take place on the Howard Payne University campus in Brownwood, Texas, from Monday, June 12, 2023 – Friday, June 16, 2023. Registration opens March 1, 2023.
March 1 – May 22
Late Registration ($25 late fee per person)
May 23 – June 4
Each of the camp’s track areas are staffed by highly regarded public school and university band professionals. Along with a dozen university student assistants, we are here to make this leadership camp experience the best it can possibly be for your student.
Below is a link to a frequently asked question section to help with your planning. Also included is a packing list that should help in the preparation to attend the camp. Sample schedules from all tracks of the camp are also featured, so students can see they will be very engaged during the week.
Where will the students be staying while at camp?
Students will be housed in Howard Payne University’s residence halls, with two students to each room.
Can students leave the campus?
Students that are Band Leadership Camp residents are not allowed to leave campus during the camp, even if they have their own vehicle.
Does the camp have medical help available?
Yes, on-campus assistance will be provided 24/7.
How about food service for the students?
The dining hall is in close proximity to the residence halls, so there is easy access.
How well are the students monitored throughout the day?
We have a 1-to-10 ratio of staff to students. Plus, the track leaders take attendance at all sessions. If a student is missing, the staff will be sent to follow up on where the student is. If the student is sick, the student will be monitored throughout the day. With sickness or injury, we will alert the parent(s). Additionally, we have a full-time Department of Public Safety on campus to aid with security.
Where is the camp located?
HPU is located in Brownwood, Texas, on State Highway 377. The campus itself is located at the intersection of Austin Avenue and Center Avenue. The first building you encounter is the Davidson Music Complex. Registration is in the band room of that building.
When does camp start and stop?
Camp begins on Monday, June 12, with registration starting at 9 a.m. Camp ends on Friday, June 16, after the All-Camp Exposition (approx. 11 a.m.).
- Linens (twin size) or sleeping bag
- Bath towel/hand towel/washcloth
- Necessary medicines (prescription, inhalers, etc.)
- Bug spray/sunscreen
- Hat – Head covering of some type
- Comfortable clothing (no bare midriffs – shorts should be school appropriate in length)
- Must have tennis shoes/socks for marching
- Comfortable footwear for relaxed times
- Swimsuit if swimming – extra towel
- Umbrella/rain gear (just in case)
- Paper/pen/pencil to take notes
- Instrument – unless on Color Guard Track
- Color Guard bring all of your equipment that you will use – pole/silk/rifle/sabre/etc.
- Money for extras (snack bar, HPU clothing items, etc.)
- Personal listening devices
Note: The following forms must be completed to finalize registration. If you have any questions, please contact Frank Nelson at the phone number or e-mail address listed below.
Step 1: Register Now
Step 2: Band Leadership Camp Payment Form (Registration opens March 1, 2023)
Step 3: Camper’s Waiver Form
Step 4: Student Medical Release Form PDF (Please have the completed form ready at check-in.)
- Student Rate – Full-Time (on campus housing) – $420
- Commuter Student Rate (Off-campus plus 2 meals daily) – $300
- All-State Member Rate (Current Year) – $300
- Director/Sponsor Rate – $375
- Director/Sponsor Rate (with 10 or more students attending) – $275
Make sure to bring:
- Completed medical forms;
- Camp fees, if you have not already taken care of those; and
- Camp Waiver form (if you did not electronically submit that).