BSN Admission Information and Requirements
There are specific admission criteria for entrance to the Howard Payne University (HPU) School of Nursing Pre-Licensure Baccalaureate Nursing Education Program. The HPU university catalog contains this information.
The selection process is governed by the HPU School of Nursing Faculty. Early admission paperwork is due to the School of Nursing by March 1. Late admission paperwork must be submitted no later than May 1.
Once students have completed admission paperwork and have submitted all information required faculty will utilize an admission criteria worksheet to rate students and admit based on rating and number of open seats.
Admissions Requirements include:
- Must be a United States Citizen and/or eligible to be employed in the United States.
- Accepted or currently enrolled as a student at HPU
- Completed application packet (Early Admission Due Date: March 1; Late Admission Due Date: May 1)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (CPR) Healthcare Provider 2-year certification
- Immunization Records – Must be completed by July 1.
- Hepatitis B (3 HepB immunizations)
- Measles, mumps, rubella (1 does of MMR or evidence of immunity)
- Meningococcal (MenACWY) (within 5-year period)
- Tetanus, diphtheria, & pertussis (TDAP) (must be current within 10 years)
- Varicella (evidence of immunity, immunization–2 doses, or titer)
- Zoster for individuals over 50 years old (2 doses of RZV preferred or 1 dose of ZVL)
- Pneumococcal for individuals over 65 years old (1 dose of PCV13 and PPSV23 one year after receiving PCV13)
- Negative TB skin test (TST) within the previous 12 months and TB symptoms screening questionnaire answering no to all questions. The skin test result must include the mm of induration.
- Influenza Vaccine Annual (1 dose in the previous 12 months)
- Recommendation Forms (2); from a former college instructor/professor
- 0 GPA cumulative
- ATI TEAS® 7th Edition entrance exam (See Pre-Entrance Examination: ATI TEAS® 7th Edition Testing Requirements)
- Completion of HPU General Education Requirements/Courses
- Nursing prerequisite courses – NOTE: ** B or Higher and * C or Higher
- Pathophysiology or General Biology **
- Introduction to General, Organic and Biochemistry **
- Anatomy and Physiology – I & II *
- College Algebra*
- Intro to Psychology*
- Fundamentals of Microbiology*
- Life Span Development*
- Health Profession Seminar
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Criminal Background Check completed and cleared by the Texas Board of Nursing as eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam (IdentoGo will reach out to you for an appointment for fingerprints after approved from the Texas Board of Nursing)
- Letter of Standing (If transferring from another nursing program).
The selection process is governed by the HPU School of Nursing Faculty. Once students have completed admission paperwork and have submitted all information required by July 1 the faculty will utilize an admission criteria worksheet to rate students and admit based on rating and number of open seats.
Pre-Entrance Examination: ATI TEAS® Version 7 Testing Requirements
- The ATI TEAS® Version 7 score will be utilized along with all other HPU School of Nursing admission requirements to consider eligibility for the School of Nursing.
- A minimum score of 64 in the Reading and Math and a composite score within the “Proficient” range is required on the ATI TEAS® Version 7 Individual Performance Profile.
- If a minimum score requirements are not met, applicants will have the option to re-take the ATI TEAS® Version 7 exam. Applicants are limited to two (2) exam attempts within each application cycle.
- Only scores from ATI TEAS® Version 7 test taken within one (1) year of the application deadline for which the student is applying will be considered.
- ATI TEAS® Version 7 exams are offered in the following formats
- Remote testing proctored by ATI® or HPU ($125)
- In-person in Thompson Academic Complex Room 201 ($70)
- At another institution (Student will need to indicate Howard Payne U BSN as the institution to send the transcript)
- Create an ATI® account on the www.atitesting.com website prior to the exam day and select Howard Payne U BSN as your institution.
- On the exam day, applicants will need to bring a valid state or government issued photo ID (ex: Current HPU Student ID, valid driver’s license or passport) and ATI® username and password.
ATI TEAS® Version 7 - Exam re-test requirments
Applicants who must re-test are required to wait 30 days. Applicants may only take the ATI TEAS® Version 7 test twice within the academic year, between January 1 and December 31. These factors and deadlines should be considered when scheduling to take the initial test. The identical procedure will be utilized taking the second test, as set forth in the initial test.
Health Records and Immunizations
Being free of communicable diseases is critical for students, and students must be protected against communicable diseases during clinical experiences. During the application for admission process, students must submit verification of all immunizations required by the university as well as those required by the School of Nursing. Deadline for immunizations is July 1st.
See Admission Requirements for the list of immunizations required. Other vaccinations may be required by specific clinical agencies. Students will be informed of additional requirements as needed.