- Can I download library e-books?
Yes. Visit the “Ebook and Audiobook Collections” link on the library homepage.
- Do we have this journal or magazine?
Use our Journal Finder A-Z tool on the library homepage to see if we have access to the journal you are looking for. (This tool includes both our print and our online periodical subscriptions.)
- Do you have any study rooms or conference rooms?
Yes. The browsing room on the main floor and rooms 200, 201, 205, 209 and 210 on the top floor are all available for group or individual study on a first-come, first-served basis. Room 209 may be reserved by contacting the front desk at 325-649-8080.
- Do you have books on tape or CD?
No. HPU ID card holders may, however, check out and download audio books from Abilene Public Library’s Digital Media Collection.
- Does the library have a color copier or color printer?
- How do I find books?
Use our Library Catalog accessible through the library homepage or enter your search terms in the One Search query box on the library homepage. Then, select “Books” from the left menu on your results page.
- How do I get a library card?
Your HPU ID card serves as you library card. Use the 13-digit barcode number on the back of your ID to login to the library’s online resources from off-campus. Local residents may purchase a Community-Resident Library Card for $25 per year, which enables them to check out up to two books at a time from our library.
- How do I renew a book?
Visit the Renew Books/My Account link on the library homepage.
- How do I request a book from an Abilene library in our co-op? How long will it take?
Click “Request this Item” to the left of the title you wish to request, in our One Search interface on the library homepage, or in our online catalog also accessible from the library homepage. Items are delivered by courier within 4-7 days.
- How do I request a book or article from another library? How long will it take?
Click “Request this Item” to the left of the title you wish to request in our One Search interface on the library homepage, or submit an Interlibrary Loan request form under the “Our Services” tab on the library homepage. Articles are delivered electronically within one to seven days. Books take an average of 4-10 days.
- How long is the checkout period for a book?
- 3 weeks for HPU students
- 1 semester for HPU faculty
- 3 weeks for community-resident card holders
- How many books can I check out?
- Up to 60 books at a time if you are an HPU ID card holder.
- Alumni may check out five books at a time.
- Community card holders may check out up to two items at one time.
- How much are overdue fines?
Walker Library does not charge fines for overdue books, unless they are borrowed from another library (e.g., interlibrary loan or Abilene consortia). If the books you have checked out have not been returned by the end of the semester, the Cashier’s Office will be notified and your grades will be held until your library books have been returned.
- What are the library’s hours?
Monday – Thursday 7:30am – 10:00pm
Friday 7:30am – 5:00pm
Saturday 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Sunday 6:00pm – 10:00pm
Inter-term and summer hours vary and will be posted on the webpage and on the front door of the library.
- What happens if I lose a book?
If you lose a book or books there will be a $60.00 charge for each. This amount MUST be paid before you receive your grades.
- Where are the copy machines?
In the browsing room on the main floor, to the right as you enter the library. Copies are 5-cents each. Copy cards may be purchased from and recharged at the vending machine beside the copiers.