This position, originally a part-time Administrative Assistant role, has been enhanced and expanded to provide greater support for the university’s marketing and communication initiatives. The full-time Communications Assistant will work closely with other staff members in HPU’s Office of University Marketing and Communications to help advance the university’s image and message to internal and external audiences. The Communications Assistant will research and write news releases, text for HPU’s website and social media and other means of communication, in addition to proofreading material written by others. This staff member will also help coordinate and facilitate office operations to ensure the office functions smoothly and responds to constituents in a timely manner. Additionally, the Communications Assistant will provide administrative support to the Office of University Marketing and Communications personnel by assisting with budget preparation/maintenance, reports, correspondence, hiring and supervision of student employees, and other clerical and administrative work by performing the essential duties and responsibilities listed in the Job Description.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Daily trash collection from all property,
2. Plant grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs,
3. Water lawn and shrubs,
4. Operate commercial-size mowers, edgers, weed eaters, chain saws, blowers, backhoes, power washers, etc.
5. Sharpen tools such as weed cutters, edging tools, and shears.
6. Trim and edge around curbs, walks, flowerbeds, and walls,
7. Mow, fertilize and care for all turf and planted areas, including sports fields,
8. Prune shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damaged leaves, branches, or twigs,
9. Clean and repair university streets and parking lots,
10. Under supervision and using prescribed safety standards, spray lawn, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticides,
11. Rake and bags leaves,
12. Spread chemicals on public passageways to prevent ice buildup and shovels snow from walks, etc.,
13. Make minor repairs on grounds department equipment, including lawn mowers, spreaders, edger, etc.