Faculty and Staff health and Safety Policies
Faculty and Staff Health and Safety Policies
Use the dropdown menu below to view HPU’s Faculty and Staff Health and Safety Policies.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. These provisions will apply from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
Employers covered under the Act must provide employees up to two weeks (eighty hours, or a part-time employee’s two-week equivalent) of paid sick leave based on the higher of their regular rate of pay, or the applicable state or Federal minimum wage, paid at:
- 100% for qualifying reasons #1-#3 below, up to $511 daily and $5,110 total
- 2/3 for qualifying reasons #4 and #6 below, up to $200 daily and $2,000 total
- Up to twelve weeks of paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave paid at 2/3 for qualifying reason #5 below for up to $200 daily and $12,000 total
A part-time employee is eligible for leave for the number of hours that the employee is normally scheduled to work over that period.
Employees who have been employed for at least thirty days prior to their leave request may be eligible for up to an additional ten weeks of partially paid expanded family and medical leave for reason #5 below.
An employee is entitled to take leave related to COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to telework, because the employee:
- is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19
- has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
- is caring for an individual subject to an order described in #1 or self-quarantine as described in #2
- is caring for his or her child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons
- is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Leave requests under the COVID-19 Employee Leave Policy should be requested using the COVID-19 and Remote Work Leave Request Form on the HPU Gateway after completing the COVID-19 Self-Reporting Form on the HPU Gateway.
Non-essential University-sponsored travel outside of Brown County has been suspended until further notice. Requests by an employee or department for approval of University-sponsored travel should be made to the employee’s or department’s supervising vice president. Employees should not make University-sponsored trips outside of Brown County without prior approval from the employee’s supervising vice president. If an individual’s University-sponsored travel exception is approved, the individual is required to always abide by the University’s face mask policy in public settings for the duration of the University-sponsored travel.
In order to promote social distancing, in-person meetings between University staff should be conducted via the Zoom video conferencing platform or the Skype for Business video or audio-conferencing platform rather than face-to-face whenever the option is available, especially when a six-foot social distance is not possible to maintain. Additionally, meetings with off-campus individuals should be conducted using Zoom or Skype for Business rather than face-to-face, if at all possible.
Employees should also refrain from gathering in communal spaces such as break rooms, conference rooms, bathrooms, waiting areas, or other such communal gathering spaces, unless a six-foot social distance can be maintained and all employees wear face coverings for the entirety of the gathering.