Student Organization Taxes

Tax Exempt Purchasing

As a not for profit organization, the University is exempt from State sales tax. The sales tax exemption currently applies to all merchandise purchases and lodging in Texas hotels and motels. To save Organization funds, approved student organizations are allowed to use the University Sales Tax exemption so long as the purchases are made for University approved events and a Purchase Requisition has been approved ahead of time proving that the funds are coming from the organizations on campus account.

To make a tax exempt purchase, the student is required to provide a Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification form to all vendors, hotels and motels prior to incurring any expense to be charged to the organization regardless of payment method. The Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification form is available through the Student Activities Office. Please note there is a separate form for hotels that can be requested. Additionally, while most restaurants do not typically accept tax exempt form, when asked kindly in advance they will sometimes comply.

Apply Now!

 Ready to get started on your lifelong journey as an HPU Yellow Jacket?​ Apply for free today!