Undergraduate Application for Howard Payne University Alumni Association Scholarship
The Alumni Association Scholarship amount is $1,000 per academic year ($500 per semester) which is a change from prior years. Because of this increase in the award amount, significant changes to the application structure have been made. If you are a previous applicant and/or recipient, you will need to read the application carefully. Please ensure that all areas of the application have been completed before submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an award.
- Scholarships will be considered only for students who have at least one relative who graduated from Howard Payne University, Howard Payne College or Daniel Baker College or their relative is a former student that completed 2 semesters (24 credit hours) or more at Howard Payne. A relative is defined as a mother, father, sisters, brothers, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. Name(s) and approximate year(s) of attendance and type of qualifying relationship(s) must be identified in the application.
- The Alumni Association Scholarship Committee reviews all criteria for selection of scholarship recipients. Scholarship amounts and award guidelines are subject to change at the Scholarship Committee’s discretion, and they may be adjusted based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool.
- Beginning with the fall semester of 2019, the award amount will be $1,000 per academic year ($500 per semester). Up to ten scholarships will be awarded if funds are available.
- The Alumni Association Scholarship must be used for tuition to Howard Payne University.
- All applications are due on or before May 1.
- First-time applicants and students who have previously received an Alumni Scholarship will be considered equally.
- There will be no distinction or preference to previous scholarship recipients.
- All applicants must submit a completed application.
- All applications must provide two current recommendation letters that are dated within one year of the May 1st application deadline. These recommendation letters must be uploaded with the application outlining why they feel the student is a good candidate for the alumni scholarship and be from a non-family member of the applicant.
- All applications must include an essay. The essay must be at least 500 words and address the applicant’s need and circumstances. The essay must include current activities highlighting community and church service, leadership, and academic successes. This essay should also contain a “statement of faith” along with a summary of accomplishments and their desire to attend HPU.
- All applicants must complete the Application Form each year and provide updated recommendations and a new essay in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified so it is important to make sure all requirements and documentations are fulfilled.
- Entering first year applicants must have maintained a “B” or higher average in high school.
- Returning HPU students or transferring students must have a 2.5 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Entering freshmen and transfer students must have transcripts on file with the Office of Admissions and/or the Registrar.
- Must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program and attending HPU as a full-time student (currently 12 semester hours).
- Students in their final semester may receive their scholarship with permission of the Alumni Association Scholarship Committee if they do not meet “Full Time” status. Once the student takes a scholarship in their final semester and is enrolled in less than “Full Time”, the student will not receive a HPU Alumni scholarship again if they do not graduate.
Need and merit
- Financial, academic and student in good standing will be verified by the appropriate offices.
Thank you for applying for the Howard Payne University Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship. Application materials must be submitted no later than May 1. All applications will be given to the scholarship committee of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, which will evaluate the applications and award the scholarships. Scholarship amounts and award guidelines are subject to change based on the scholarship committee’s discretion, and they may be adjusted based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool. Letters and/or emails will be sent to all applicants in June to announce the results. Scholarship recipients may be called upon to assist with Homecoming and other Alumni Association events.
Please note that not all applicants will receive an Alumni Scholarship.
The scholarship application deadline is May 1, 2019.