Student Achievement Goals
Student Achievement Goals
Howard Payne University takes great pride in the achievements of its students. Testimonials of graduates and the enthusiastic large numbers of alumni who attend Homecoming are in themselves strong indicators of the positive impact this University currently has and has had on those who attend here. Howard Payne University also regularly evaluates its success with respect to student achievement consistent with the University’s mission.
Student achievement goals have been set, appropriate outcomes identified, and reported.
Howard Payne University students will:
Goal 1: Successfully navigate the rigors of the academic environment from enrollment through graduation.
Objective: Graduation rate of greater than 40% with additional 15-20% persistence through graduation anticipated from students who transfer to other institutions.
Outcomes: Since 2011, the University has experienced six-year completion rates that average 42%. This data is submitted through the National Student Clearinghouse and reported by the Student Achievement Measure Project (SAM). Click here to view HPU’s page on the SAM website. Additionally, the University reports retention, graduation and outcome data to IPEDS and publishes links to this data. This information is illustrated below by articulating various graduation rates for students pursuing bachelor’s degrees, including visuals of male and female graduates as well as graduation rates by race/ethnicity (Click to view larger image).
Goal 2: Demonstrate preparation to enter their chosen career/vocation
Objective: Greater than 55% graduates will have had internship or vocational experiences as a part of their academic study.
Outcomes: In 2018, at least 59% of students who graduated participated in internships or mentorships during their educational program.
Goal 3: Develop an in-depth knowledge of their chosen field, leading to job placement or graduate studies.
The University uses multiple measures to assess achievement of this goal: 1) through various content area exams (i.e. ETS Major Field Exams); 2) Comprehensive Business Exam; 3) Area Concentration Achievement Tests; and 4) licensure/professional examinations in Athletic Training and Teacher Education.
Objectives and Outcomes:
1) ETS Major Field Exams and other nationally standardized exams — Sample program results:
- MBA – The goal of having the mean score of HPU MBA students on the ETS Major Filed Test in Business Administration will be within 5% of the global mean for all students was met in 2018-2019.
- Biology – The goal of having 40% of biology majors ranked at or above the national average on the Biology Major Field Test was met in 2019, 2016, and 2015, but was not met in 2017 and 2018.
- Computer Information Systems – The goal of having 50% of CIS majors score above the national average on the Information Systems Analyst (ISA) nationally standardized exam was met in 2018-2019.
2) Comprehensive Business Exam (CBE) – Business Administration and Accounting:
- The goal of having students score basic or higher and proficient or higher on the CBE Common Profession Components exam within 5% of the corresponding percentages for students from peer institutions was met in 2018-2019. The goal of having the average score for HPU students on the Glo-bus simulation of being within 5% of the overall average for all students worldwide was met in 2018-2019.
3) Area Concentration Achievement Tests (ACAT) – Sample program results:
- Criminal Justice – The goal of having 85% of the criminal justice majors score between 400-600 on the ACAT was met as 93% of the students achieved these scores in 2018-2019.
- Social Work – The goal of having 50% of social work majors rank at or above 50% on the ACAT subject test for social work was not met in either 2018-2019 – 2 of 6 students (33%) or 2017-2018 – 3 of 7 students (43%)
4) Licensure or Certification Exams:
- Teacher Education – The goal of having 90% of the students pass the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) content area or core subjects teacher was not met in 2018-2019 – only 83% passed. The goal of having 90% of the students pass the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility section was met as 91% passed in 2018-2019.
- Athletic Training – The goal of having 70% pass rate on the Board of Certification examination for athletic training was met in 2018-2019 – 100% of the students passed.