Chapel at HPU
Chapel is an important part of the student experience at Howard Payne University. Undergraduate students are required to complete six semesters of Chapel to graduate from Howard Payne University.
The mission of Chapel is to provide a community worship experience that promotes personal relationships with Jesus Christ. Chapel services may feature a variety of formats including speakers, music, and programs that present the gospel, encourage spiritual development, promote cultural awareness, explore world events, and recognize academic excellence, service, and leadership in a context that prompts a greater understanding of the Christian faith.
Chapel services are held on Wednesdays during the fall and spring semesters.
The spring 2023 Chapel schedule is available here and below.
Contact the Office of Student Experience for additional information.
Chapel Requirements, Guidelines and Policies
Six semesters of Chapel credits are required to graduate from the university. Students must accumulate fourteen Chapel credits each semester.
In order to help make Chapel programs more meaningful to those present and to receive credit for attending, the following guidelines should be followed:
To receive Chapel credit, students must arrive on time and remain for the entire program.
Students should conduct themselves in a respectful and appropriate manner. This includes being respectful to those on the program, not bringing food or drinks into the service, and not doing anything that would be distracting to others.
Attendance at Chapel is electronically monitored through the iAttended App. Students arriving to Chapel after the doors have been closed will not receive credit for attending. Students leaving early will be subject to failure for the entire semester. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that his/her attendance is accurately tracked through the iAttended App.
1. Each student must pass six semesters of Chapel attendance.
2. Each student will receive a Pass/Fail grade based on her/his attendance. The grade has no bearing on the student’s grade point average.
3. There will be no “extra credit” opportunities for Chapel credit. You must earn your 14 attendance credits by attending Chapel.
4. All full-time HPU students are required to attend Chapel unless they are 24 years of age or older. Students who turn 24 years old after the first class day of the fall or spring semesters will be required to complete that semester’s Chapel attendance requirements.
5. Should a student fail to accumulate the required number of semester credits to pass Chapel, she/he will not be permitted to graduate. There are no make-ups for missed semesters of Chapel.