The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is required to determine eligibility for Federal and State financial aid programs.

How often do I have to complete the FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)?

Each student is required to complete the FAFSA each academic year, based on the previous year’s income tax return.

When are financial aid applications due?

March 15th is the priority filing date.

If I can’t have my financial aid applications in by the “preferred filing date,” what happens?

March 15th is a priority date.  The Financial Aid Office will continue to process aid beyond that date, but grant and scholarship funds are limited, and late applicants may not receive all eligible grant money, because of a lack of funding.

What are the advantages of filing electronically?

The process of filing the FAFSA through the internet will be much quicker, as long as the information is completed and signed properly.  The student and parent will need to register for a PIN (Personal Identification Number) with the Department of Education, to sign the FAFSA electronically.  An option of printing a signature page is also available.  A signature for the student and parent (if dependent student) is required for processing.

Does my current income tax return have to be filed with IRS before I can complete the FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)?

Your  income tax return does not have to be filed with the IRS, but the return needs to be completed for accurate information in processing of the FAFSA.

How does the receiving of local scholarships (i.e. Booster Club, church scholarships) affect financial aid awards?

The Financial Aid Office will need to know of any outside scholarships that the student receives.   Any change made to the financial aid award would depend on the financial need of the student, and whether the student is receiving any need-based aid. (i.e. grants, work-study, subsidized loan).

Should I pay a company to help me complete financial aid applications and/or search for scholarships?

No.   If needing assistance with the FAFSA or scholarship applications, please contact a high school counselor or a financial aid office to help with the completion of forms, or to receive information about financial aid.