Student Employment

Prior to beginning work as a student employee at HPU, students MUST have the ORIGINAL documents (not copies or e-mailed pictures) of a valid driver’s license and Social Security Card.  If those documents are not available, ORIGINAL documents of the following will be accepted:

U.S. Passport/Passport Card, Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), ID Card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies, School ID card with photograph, and/or Birth Certificate.  To see a complete list, see the I-9 Form.

Student Employment Application


Students must be a U.S. citizen with financial need enrolled in at least 6 credit hours. Need-based employment on campus must be coordinated with other financial aid programs. Applicants are issued an award allotment and earnings cannot exceed that amount. Work-Study employees must submit a timesheet and are paid twice each month. Students are paid minimum wage.

Students receiving work-study awards are not guaranteed a job. The amount of the work-study award on a student’s Award Notification is the amount of eligibility and not a guarantee of a job or an exact amount of earnings. Accepting a work-study award is not confirmation of a job. Returning students are given priority in job placement. Job assignments are finalized after registration of each semester. The student must obtain an Employee Authorization Form from the Office of Financial Aid. The student is referred to a specific office or department according to job availability and departmental needs. The student must interview with individual supervisors. If the student and the supervisor are in mutual agreement, the student is hired. The final decision concerning the selection and hiring of student employees is made by the employing department/office after interviewing the students.

If the student is hired, the student is responsible for taking the completed Employee Authorization Form to the Office of Human Resources. New employees must provide an original Social Security card and driver’s license (with photograph) for completion of the Employment Verification Form (I-9).

The amount of the students’ work-study award will dictate the maximum number of hours per week the student is eligible to work. Students usually work 10 to 15 hours per week. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes. This policy is intended to protect the academic pursuits of the student. The following chart indicates the approximate number of work hours needed in order to earn the amount awarded. The amounts are based on minimum wage ($7.25 per hour) for approximately 16 weeks.

Award for One Semester           Hours Per Week

$ 1,160                                       10

$ 1,400                                      12

$ 1,750                                       15

The budget of the specific department hiring the student may limit the student to a lower number of hours per week than he/she is eligible to work or would like to work. The student may not earn more than the amount awarded and must adjust his/her work schedule accordingly. Students may not work in two different jobs at the same time.

Student employment opportunities through the work-study program are available both on and off campus. Students may not work through the Federal or state Work-Study program in any area of the Baptist Student Ministries or the School of Christian Studies. Off-campus employment must be “community service” and only in facilities where HPU has an agreement. Current off-campus locations include the Latch Key Program and the Boys and Girls Club.  Students in off-campus locations are paid in the same manner as the students employed on campus.



The Institutional Employment Program is an institutionally-funded work program. Students submit a timesheet showing hours worked and are paid minimum wage. Students will receive a paycheck for hours worked. This is not a need-based form of employment. Earnings from this program must be included when completing the FAFSA.