Admission to the Guy D. Newman Honors Academy
Admission to the Academy is a highly competitive honor, with a maximum of 25 students admitted each year. Selections are made holistically, as the Academy Executive Committee considers the following factors: application to Howard Payne University; the application to the Guy D. Newman Honors Academy; evidence of academic and personal success; demonstrated potential fit with the Honors Academy’s mission and approach; and potential for excellence in scholarship and citizenship. Candidates should follow the steps below in order to complete the application process. The submission date for priority consideration is Feb. 1 for priority notification by Feb. 15. Subsequent admissions are made on a rolling basis until all scholarships are awarded. Applicants may be wait-listed. There is no hard deadline for program applications.
1. Successfully apply for admission to Howard Payne University. The Honors Academy cannot consider candidates until they have applied to HPU, and no interviews can be scheduled until a candidate is admitted to HPU.
2. Review the Honors Academy website.
* Do you meet the qualifications for Membership and Scholarships?
* Have you familiarized yourself with what the Honors Academy is and what it offers? (See especially these pages: Curriculum, Course Descriptions, and Experiential Learning programs and requirements.)
3. Find two people to provide us with a Confidential Candidate Evaluation. These referees must be familiar with your work ethic and work product, your deportment and character, and your potential for excellence in scholarship and service. At least one must be an academic referee. No referees may be family members of the applicant. You will need to provide their contact information (name, work phone number, and a professional/company email address) in the Application for Admission. (Once your application has been processed, your referees will receive a PDF of the Confidential Candidate Evaluation form.)
4. Download the Guy D. Newman Honors Academy Application for Admission. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 11 (free–click here to download) to open, complete, and save the application form. Please make sure that you follow the steps in Adobe Reader to create and use a “digital signature” where requested. **NOTE: If you encounter problems using the digital signature and/or the “email application” link within the PDF, you are welcome to email the PDF as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.**
* * RIGHT-CLICK THE LINK AND “SAVE [LINK/TARGET] AS” TO
PLEASE SAVE AND KEEP A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION.
5. Once your complete application, including references, has been received and processed we will contact you to schedule an interview with the Academy Executive Committee. All candidates for a full-tuition Gen. MacArthur Scholarship must schedule an on-campus interview, preferably during a Yellow Jacket Monday or other campus preview event.
6. Once you have been admitted to the Guy D. Newman Honors Academy, you must pre-schedule your fall classes prior to June 30 in order to reserve your spot in the class (limited to 25 students).